I invite you to learn more about my professional accomplishments, which are based on a distinctive combination of legal experience gained from private practice and from service as a criminal prosecutor. I also include my record of positive contributions to the legal profession and to my community.
After graduating from law school in
2000, I became employed at an established Chicago law firm specializing in complex personal
injury litigation. I worked on sophisticated auto
collision cases, construction accidents, product liability litigation and
medical malpractice cases. I deposed hundreds of witnesses involved in serious personal injury cases. These included the following expert witnesses: physicians, toxicologists, accident reconstructionists and engineers. I have also tried many successful civil cases before juries.
I then joined the
Cook County State's Attorney's Office at the Bridgeview
Courthouse. There, I prosecuted and tried hundreds of
DUI and other traffic and criminal offenses before judges and juries.
Upon returning to private practice in 2004, I combined my civil litigation skills with my prosecutorial experience to provide the following services on my clients' behalf:
- Recovered millions of dollars for clients seriously injured in automobile collisions that caused traumatic brain injuries, severe leg and ankle fractures, hip fractures, rotator cuff tears, ligament damage and other neurological injuries.
- Aggressively defended and secured acquittals for individuals charged with misdemeanor and felony DUI charges, drug offenses and battery.
- Successfully represented professional accused of misconduct before the Illinois Department of Professional Regulation.
- Effectively resolved disputes involving multiple property owners (suits to partition property and to quiet title).
- Vindicated the property rights of homeowners by ensuring that associations complied with bylaws.
- Asserted the rights of policy holders to receive proper compensation from insurance companies for wrongful delay or denial of claims.
- Obtained lawful compensation for property damage sustained as a result of auto collisions, defective products, explosions, fires and other natural disasters.
- Protected the rights of the elderly injured in nursing homes due to abuse and neglect.
Legal Publications and Presentations
I have authored two articles on Federal law and two more on Illinois
Supreme Court cases addressing the prosecution of DUI offenses and criminal procedure:
- Maximizing Your Client’s Recovery Under the Federal Tort Claims Act
(Illinois Bar Journal, February 2003)
- Missing Video Evidence in DUI Cases after People v. Kladis (Illinois Bar Journal, May 2012)
- The Abolition of the Common Fund Doctrine in ERISA Cases: Who Really Prevailed in U.S. Airways v. McCutchen? (DCBA Brief: The Journal of the DuPage County Bar Association, March 2015)
- People v. Denson: The Illinois Supreme Court's Primer on How to Properly Preserve a Contested Evidentiary Issue for Appellate Review (DCBA Brief: The Journal of the DuPage County Bar Association, June 2016)
I delivered the following presentations:
- Understanding Law Enforcement's Role in Civil Litigation, delivered to the Palos Heights and Palos Park Police Departments (September 17, 2009)
- The Social Worker's Role in the Criminal Justice System, delivered at Moraine Valley Community College (April 13, 2010)
I have served my community by participating in a number of important organizations:
- City of Palos Heights, City Clerk (elected 2009)
The Clerk maintains an accurate record of all City Council proceedings and works closely with dedicated public servants as the chief records keeper and
- Southwest Bar Association, Board Member (joined 2008)
The Board sponsors continuing legal education programs and community outreach efforts to increase public awareness of the legal system.
- United States Coast Guard Auxiliary, Member (joined 2009)
The Auxiliary is a uniformed volunteer component supporting all missions of the U.S. Coast Guard other than military and law enforcement operations.
- Moraine Valley Community College Foundation, Board Member (appointed in 2012).
The Foundation supports
college programs and students by awarding donations and scholarships and overseeing the sound investment of donor funds.
Personal and Educational Background
I completed my education at the following institutions:
- University of Chicago (2008)
Received a Master of Liberal Arts degree with emphasis on the historical importance of landmark legal cases and the relationship between law and government.
- Chicago-Kent College of Law (2000)
Received a Juris Doctor degree, sworn in as an attorney, and admitted to the Bar in November, 2000. I am licensed to practice in the State of Illinois and the Federal District Courts of Illinois.
- University of Illinois, Urbana (1997)
Received BA Degree in Liberal Arts. In my senior year I completed an Honors Thesis and graduated with distinction in Political Science.
I am a life-long resident of the Southwest suburbs. Along with our three children, my wife and I belong to SS. Constantine & Helen Church in Palos Hills.